Goals of Gifted and Talented:
Sheldon ISD provides a gifted program that equips students to develop:
- critical and creative thinking skills in advanced content
- skills that allow students to create and express innovative ideas effectively, create and exhibit products, and deliver performances of high quality
- leadership skills that will allow for collaboration and problem-solving in group settings
- respect and understanding for self and others, enabling students to function as productive citizens
- artistic skills and talents that possess breadth, depth and quality
GT Referral and Identification Process
The purpose of the gifted and talented identification process is to identify and serve the special educational needs of students who “perform or show the potential for performing at a remarkably high level of accomplishment when compared to others of the same age, experience, or environment” (Texas Education Code §29.123). The process consists of three steps: referral, screening, and selection.
Students may be referred by parents, peers, community members, teachers, counselors, administrators, other professional personnel, or themselves. Referral forms are available on this site and in the front office on each campus.
Gifted & Talented Testing CalendarNomination Windows (Grades 1-12)
- September 18-29, 2017 (elementary only)
- September 18-October 27 (secondary only)
- October 30-November 10, 2017
- February 5-February 16, 2018
Testing Windows (Grades 1-12)
- October 7, 2017 (Grades 1-5 only)
- November 27, 2017-January 5, 2018
- February 26-March 30, 2018
Kindergarten Nominations and Testing
- Nominations: November 30-December 21, 2017
- Testing: January 9-February 8, 2018
Scholarships for GT Summer Programs
Scholarships are available for Gifted/Talented students who want to attend academic or artistic summer camps in the Greater Houston area. For more information, visit the TAGT website. Camps are available for students of all ages.