GEAR UP stands for Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs.
The purpose of the GEAR UP program is to foster increased knowledge, expectations, and preparation for postsecondary education among low-income students and their families. GEAR UP is all about helping students in Texas get ready to be successful in college and BEYOND!
- Provide academic advising to the primary cohort beginning 7th grade until first year of post-secondary education.
- Implement activities such as mentoring and tutoring for academic coursework, and creating exposure to college campuses through field trips.
- Provide financial aid information and resources for post-secondary education.
- Encourage enrollment in rigorous and challenging coursework (AP, Dual Credit, OnRamps and more!) in order to reduce the need at the post-secondary level.
- Parental education about access to higher education, financial aid literacy and more!