“We have all worked extremely hard as a team, a family, and a community to overcome many obstacles, such as Hurricane Harvey, the Covid pandemic, and numerous others,” said Dr. Davis. “It has been an amazing and life-changing experience working in conjunction with our staff to improve and increase positive outcomes for our students.”
Dr. Davis announced his intent to retire at the January 17 School Board Meeting. Announcing now allows time for the School Board to plan for the next leader. Dr. Davis arrived in Sheldon ISD in 2016 and under his leadership the district has been able to:
- Increase from an unacceptable district academic rating to a “B” rating
- Improve fine arts and athletic programs
- Offer more personalized opportunities for students of all ages to become college and career ready such as expanded CTE programs, Compass Schools at the elementary level, a state recognized STEM program, expansion of nursing, the early college program, and much more.
- Increase the district fund balance by 64% ($28 million) allowing for a balanced budget for 7 consecutive years
- Pass two bond elections in 2016 and 2022 to allow for new buildings, land for schools, technology and programs due to Sheldon’s increasing student enrollment
“Any success attached to my leadership in Sheldon ISD will forever be tied to the incredible talent and commitment to students from our staff,” Dr. Davis said. “Our excellent team of teachers and employees are passionate about the students in our community and helping them achieve. To the parents and community members in Sheldon, I will be forever grateful for your support and your trust.”
Dr. Davis will continue to serve as the Superintendent until June 30, 2023. He will then transition into the role of Superintendent Emeritus beginning July 1 through December 31, 2023. The Superintendent Emeritus role involves duties associated with transition activities for the new superintendent.
Sheldon ISD School Board Members will begin the search for the next Superintendent of Schools with hopes to have a new leader in place by the start of the 2023-24 school year. Information about the search process will be shared on the district’s website at www.sheldonisd.com and in district communication with families.